More from Broken God
THE WISDOM OF GOD
May 15, 2022
Introduction: What is the biggest challenge you’re facing in your life right now?
“To believe actively that our Heavenly Father constantly spreads around us providential circumstances that work for our present good and our everlasting well-being brings to the soul a veritable benediction.
Most of us go through life praying a little, planning a little, jockeying for position, hoping but never being quite certain of anything, and always secretly afraid that we will miss the way. This is a tragic waste of truth and never gives rest to the heart.
There is a better way. It is to repudiate our own wisdom and take instead the infinite wisdom of God. Our insistence upon seeing ahead is natural enough, but it is a real hindrance to our spiritual progress.
God has charged Himself with full responsibility for our eternal happiness and stands ready to take over the management of our lives the moment we turn in faith to Him.”
- A.W. Tozer, The Knowledge of the Holy
What a difference it would make in life’s most difficult times if we could believe that God is "all wise!”
Question: How can we learn to rest and trust in the wisdom of God?
Defining the Wisdom of God:
- Definition: “that attribute of God whereby He produces the best possible results by the best possible means” - Berkhof
- Definition: “the quality of being wise; power of judging rightly and following the soundest course of action based on knowledge, experience, and understanding.”
Root words – ‘to see, to know’ - Webster
“Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen."
1 Timothy 1:17
“Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out!”
“Wisdom, among other things, is the ability to devise perfect ends and to achieve those ends by the most perfect means. It sees the end from the beginning, so there can be no need to guess or conjecture…
All God’s acts are done in perfect wisdom, first for His own glory, and then for the highest good of the greatest number for the longest time…Not only could His acts not be better done: a better way to do them could not be imagined.”
- A.W. Tozer, The Knowledge of the Holy
How has God revealed His Wisdom to us?
- Through Creation Psalm 104:24
- Through Providence Psalm 33:10-11
- Through Redemption
We do, however, speak a message of wisdom among the mature, but not the wisdom of this age or of the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing. No, we declare God’s wisdom, a mystery that has been hidden and that God destined for our glory before time began. None of the rulers of this age understood it, for if they had, they would not have crucified to the Lord of glory. However, as it is written:
What no eye has seen, what no ear has heard, And what no human mind has conceived” – the things God has prepared for those who love Him –these are the things God has revealed to us by His Sprit. The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God.
1 Corinthians 2:6-10
- Through His Son
It is because of Him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God – that is, our righteousness, holiness, and redemption.
1 Corinthians 1:30
How must we respond to the Wisdom of God?
- We must ______________to live wisely!
HOW do we do that?
- We must _______________God’s ways.
Proverbs 1:7, Job 28:28
- It grows with _______________His Word.
2 Timothy 3:16-17
- It _______________asking for it specifically.
James 1:5, Colossians 1:9
- We must learn to _______________ Him completely…
…that all that comes our way is from the hand of a good and loving God who knowing all things actual and possible, is exerting His unlimited power to execute the best possible outcomes, by the best possible means, to fulfill the highest possible purposes.
- What circumstance in your life seems to defy God’s wisdom?
- Pray that God will help you turn that circumstance back to Him and trust that He knows what’s best.
- Look for opportunities this week to encourage and pray with others.