More from Jesus Is
JESUS IS part 4
THE GOOD SHEPHERD
Introduction: Two questions will determine the course of your life:
Question #1: How do you see God?
“What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us.”
A.W Tozer - Knowledge of the Holy
Question #2: How do you think God sees you?
Seeing the people [multitudes], He felt compassion for them, because they were distressed and dispirited [downcast], like sheep without a shepherd.
- Compassion – A deep awareness and understanding of the suffering of others that compels you to do something about it.
- Question – How does God communicate the depth of His compassion and concern to finite people who simply can’t understand?
- Answer – The sheep and shepherd metaphor (John 10 + Psalm 23)
Every Sheep Needs a Shepherd (John 10)
Jesus is the ______ Shepherd. (v. 1-6)
- The Parable (v. 1-6)
- The Teaching (v. 7-10)
- His Offer (v. 9)
- His Purpose (v. 10)
The good Shepherd ____ ______ His life for the sheep. (v. 11-21)
- He offers His life “in our place.” (v. 15)
- He offers His life to all people. (v. 16)
- He offers His life voluntarily. (v. 18)
The good Shepherd reveals His identity as Savior and _____. (v. 28-29)
- His promise (v. 28-29)
- His identity (v. 30)
- Two Vivid Responses (v. 39-42)
Jesus wants to be ______ good Shepherd. (Psalm 23)
- To meet your deepest ______.
The Lord is my Shepherd,
I shall not want. (v.1)
- To ________ your soul.
He makes me lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside quiet waters.
He restores my soul; (v. 2-3a)
- To ______ and direct your life.
He guides me in the paths of righteousness
for His name’s sake. (v. 23:3b)
- To ______ you from evil.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I fear no evil, for You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. (v. 4)
- To fill your life with _____.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You have anointed my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me
all the days of my life. (v. 5-6a)
- To give you ________ life.
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. (v. 6b)
Copyright ©2023 Chip Ingram. All rights reserved.