To replace our often misplaced self worth, we have to admit we need rescue and accept how God defines us: redeemed and in Christ. You have a God who pursued you and bought you back, and says you are worth it all.
WHERE DO I FIND MY WORTH?
5 AREAS WE SEEK TO FIND OUR SELF-WORTH:
1. What we DO [careers / education / hobbies]
2. What we HAVE [house / car / clothes]
3. What we EXPERIENCE [traveling / pleasure / thrill seeking]
4. How we LOOK [beautiful / put together / strong]
5. Who we’re WITH [friend / family / romance]
THE IMPACT OF A MISPLACED SELF-WORTH:
- Feelings of emptiness / insignificance
- Emotional instability
- Insecurity / Inferiority
- Consumed by a fear of failure
- Performance oriented / passive
- Procrastinate / Indecisive
- Emotional insulation
- Self-condemnation / hatred
- Inability to express love
REPLACING A MISPLACED SELF-WORTH:
1. Does anybody truly WANT me?
Problem: I need SOMEONE or SOMETHING to make me worthy.
In him we have redemption through his blood,
Redeem: to release from bondage of slavery through the payment of a price; freeing someone from the penalty of death
For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins. Colossians 1:13-14
God’s Solution: You are REDEEMED.
2. What about my greatest FAILURES?
Problem: I must DENY, DIMINISH, or cast BLAME for my failure to feel worthy.
In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,
Forgiveness: the cancelation of debt; the act of freeing from obligation, guilt, punishment; liberty
Trespasses: false step, to fall, failure, deviation, violation of moral standards
This righteousness is given through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference between Jew and Gentile, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. Romans 3:22-23
God’s Solution: You are FORGIVEN.
3. Do I have enough to be ENOUGH?
Problem: I must meet certain STANDARDS to prove my worth.
In him [Jesus]
we have redemption
through his blood,
the forgiveness of sins,
in accordance with the riches of God’s grace
that he lavished on us.
Grace: God’s undeserved favor, His pursuing good for you
Lavished: abundance, marked by excess, down pour of rain
God’s Solution: You have GRACE.