Ephesians 3:14-21 (ESV)
- Go through this passage in your Bible and underline every word which relates to depth or thoroughness. Which of these words is most striking to you?
- What pain or doubts in your life could be remedied by a deeper knowledge of God’s love for you?
- List each thing and after each one write, “The love of Christ surpasses knowledge.”
One of the key themes of this passage is experiencing the transforming power of God through His Holy Spirit. The Ephesians struggled with mystical beliefs that had a hold in their city and they needed reminder of God’s triumph over spiritual powers; they needed to know that He is the ultimate authority. He offers His power and authority through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, whom we receive when we trust Christ as our Lord and Savior. Like the Ephesians, God desires you be “strengthened with power through His Spirit in your inner being” as you come to a deeper understanding of what He can do in and through you.
- In what areas of your life do you feel weak or insufficient?
- List each thing, and after each one write, “He is able to do far more abundantly than all that I ask or think.”
As you go through your day meditate on the truth that God’s love for you is very deep and His presence in you through the Person of the Holy Spirit is thorough and powerful. Don’t be satisfied with what little you know of God and His power, but keep yearning for more, as Paul entreats us to find strength to comprehend the love of Christ and “be filled with the fullness of God.”
Devotional Author: Jeff Oleson